Saturday, November 5, 2016

Afternoon on the Big Hole

Afternoon on the Big Hole
20x20

The gray sky hung in over the land around Wisdom, Montana, and though I am a fan of the huge blue sky, the gray afternoon crept into my bones and into my palette and brought our all the rich colors of autumn. 

I grew up in New England, where fall was a glory, a riot of color and heat, crimsons and deep oranges, yellows so bright they look lighted from the inside. Fall skies were blisteringly blue, clouds sharp and white, and unless the trees were blazingly colored, it wasn't a good autumn. 

The West is so different. Here, near Wisdom, under a soft, gray sky, the grasses shone subtly yellow, the evergreens made a deep, dark background, and whatever those spiky bushes are - I never found anyone who knew - they added deep red splashes with purple/gray shadows at the base. I saw no fish rising, and saw only that one guy fishing, but I know what a perfect river this is for autumn fishing and, yes, for autumn painting. 


***
Scenes from the Road

The Big Hole at one of its wide points, south of Wisdom


Saw this lone guy fishing both days I was in the area. 


When you're up this high, on the high plains, you're pretty much in the sky. 



 My second day in the area, the sun did come out. 


***
Dog of the Day


Yup, it's Koko, and we're celebrating her coming to live with us, just about a year ago. 


Peter saw Koko, who was being fostered by our friend Christine Stark, and he knew she was my dog. And he knew how much I needed a dog, since the death of my Jojo. So I stopped in to Christine's house on the way back from a show, and got little Koko. 


Even though we didn't know each other that well, Koko knew I was her human, and she wasn't letting me leave Christine's house without her. 


A year later, Koko is my best doggie girlfriend. She has helped bring me back to life after Jojo's death. She keeps me company, greets me with delight every time she sees me, and makes sure I take time to play, each and every day. 





No comments:

Post a Comment