Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Side of the Road and Autumn in Melrose

Side of the Road
10x10

In my reluctance to leave the Wisdom area, I drove back roads, I soaked in the October air, watched the sky, looked at cows and horses and electric-colored trees - and painted. 

I made these paintings in the megalopolis of Melrose, Montana, a tiny town between Butte and Dillon. Lots of cows, a hotel with cabins and RV spaces, a fly shop, and the Big Hole River, winding through it all. I saw a volunteer fire station, houses, ranches and not much else. The population in 2014 was 138 - more than Wisdom's 98 but less than Wachapreague's 232.                                                                                                                   I don't think a single car passed me in the hours that I stood at the side of the road and made these paintings. The day was cool, the sun was warm and the heavy clouds softened the edges of the rocks, and brought out the deep, rich colors of the land. 

Autumn in Melrose
10x10


***
More of Melrose


Above, lots and lots and lots of cows in Melrose. I'd wager that cows easily outnumber people.


Above, the volunteer fire department in Melrose, Montana. 
Below, a cool door on the fly shop in Melrose. 


***
Dog of the Day


Here's Tiny, who's best friends (well, sort of) with Tanner, DOD from yesterday. Here's how their relationship works: Tiny will be sitting there, minding his own business, and Tanner will come up and bark, bark, bark, bark, bark - until Tiny finally leaps up, snarls and chases Tanner around the yard or house. Then Tiny goes back to relaxing, Tanner spends some time doing something else, and then the entire cycle starts all over again. 









No comments:

Post a Comment