Sunday, November 6, 2016

Bales

Bales
20x20 commission

All over the West, there are bales of hay standing there, preparation for the winter. The bales - whether they're round of gray - are enormous, and the stacks they're in are bigger than any that I've seen around here. 

I've never completely understood how hay bales are made, and I still don't really understand how the square ones are made, but I did find a cool YouTube video about how the round ones are made. You can see it by clicking here. 

This scene is just outside of downtown Wisdom. The land is mostly Bureau of Land Management land, open to everyone, and there are ranches, too. Cattle from the ranches graze on the BLM land, and in many places in Wyoming, you see signs saying "Open Range," meaning that cows or horses or bison or what have you might be walking across the road at will. 

This was a special piece that I made for a collector to give to his new love on her birthday. I hear it was a successful present!  



***
Downtown Wisdom

Above, a couple of the businesses in downtown Wisdom. The Horn and Hook also had good espresso, and the bar next door, an excellent breakfast. People told me it has good burgers, too. Below, a longer view of downtown. 


 Above, the Nez Perce motel. It has eight rooms, and all were full when I was there. The place was clean and simple, with plenty of hot water and pretty good TV and internet. There's zero cell phone service in Wisdom, however. Below, the American Legion Hall.
 

Above, the view from my hotel room. 

***
Dog of the Day

It's Girl, who spends her time in the gas station in Wisdom. She's pretty shy, doesn't like to be petted, but enjoys hanging out in the gas station anyways.


No comments:

Post a Comment