Sunday, October 23, 2016

Afternoon, Crazy Woman Canyon Road

Afternoon, Crazy Woman Road
Oil on black canvas, 20x20

I'd already made two paintings out near Crazy Woman Canyon, and I was tired. But I came to this scene on the road back to Buffalo, and I had to paint it. The October afternoon light was absolutely golden. The big tree at the side of the road simply glowed. The yellows, oranges and browns were as rich as anything I'd ever seen, and so I stopped and set up and went to work. 

My fatigue vanished as I painted. Cars drove by, birds flew along, a dog ran down a driveway, and all of it was just a hum, a quiet background noise drowned by the intense beauty I was seeing. With light like this, you have to paint fast. You have to be focused and certain and speedy, or the resplendent afternoon will fade into early dusk and take the colors and the glow with it. 


*** 
From Buffalo to Sheridan

 The day was overcast and threatening, and it seemed like a good time to head north, hard as it was to leave the beautiful Buffalo area. I'd been thinking of heading into the mountains, but the weather experts said that what was rain at this elevation would be snow higher up. So I took the flat road to Sheridan and enjoyed the drive.




Above, a camper that sheepherders use. This is the traditional shape of the camp wagon; we used to see them often when we lived in Idaho. I found an interesting page detailing the history and attitudes of the times toward sheepherders. Click here to check it out.  

Happily, the day cleared as I drove along. 



Not all of Wyoming is incredibly beautiful. You might have to click on this and make it larger to see it, but it's either a burgeoning junk yard, or a hoarder's vibrant metal-based creation... 

Really? Tesla charging station at my hotel in Sheridan. It was not an expensive hotel, and I didn't see one Tesla, though I stayed there for three days. 

***
Dog of the Day
Saw this serious guy in Buffalo, making sure no one bothered his truck.





No comments:

Post a Comment