Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Storm Over the Mountains

Storm Over the Mountains
10x10

For a few years now, the rest of the Cooper side of the family has spent part of the summer at dude ranches. Peter and I are always invited, but we can't go because summertime is when I earn the bulk of my money. Much as I'd like to, I just can't spend two or three weeks away from painting and shows! 

The first ranch they ever visited was the Paradise Guest Ranch, just outside of Buffalo, Wyoming. They loved it so much that I thought I should go - so I set off. The road got steeper and steeper, higher and higher. I turned off the paved road and onto a side road, of dirt. (The photo at the left shows a relatively calm part of the dirt road) The pretty good dirt road devolved into a pretty crappy dirt road. I kept following it, though, and it got worse and worse. I was not very far from my goal when I saw a sign telling me that the road was about to become steep and narrow, with no place to turn around. A painting had already bounced off the wall of my van, and I just couldn't go on any more. 

So I turned back toward town, and pulled into this rest area to paint the storm moving in over the Big Horn Mountains. It was windy - it's often windy in Wyoming - and there were also huge gusts. At one point, the van door slammed me in the hip, and my table and paints went over. Luckily, I grabbed this painting and kept it from falling. 

My painting in the landscape

***
Scenes from the Road - "Durant" 

FANS OF 'LONGMIRE,' a series of books by Craig Johnson and a television series now available on Netflix, will recognize the Busy Bee, and "downtown Durant," a/k/a Buffalo, Wyoming. A small part of the show is shot in Buffalo, and the other half in New Mexico, around Angel Fire and Eagle Nest. According to a hotelier who works as a county sheriff's deputy, it costs less to film in New Mexico, even though it means that the show has to have two full shooting sites. The people of Buffalo - who already hold "Longmire Days" in July - would embrace the idea of the show being filmed entirely in their town and county, he said. 

At any rate, Sheriff Walt Longmire, the depressed and tenacious hero, often dines at the Busy Bee (always asking the waitress to "Give me the usual"), so it was a huge thrill to have breakfast there myself! It's a small place, and was crowded. I had to sit at the counter with a couple older cowboys. At one time, a table for two cleared out and I moved off the uncomfortable stool and over to the table. A moment or so later, two women came in, and it was clear that if I didn't move, they couldn't be seated. So I went back to the counter - no biggie; I'd already been sitting there for at least 20 minutes, waiting for my breakfast. Later, when I went to pay, I found that the women had paid for my breakfast! Nice. 



The mirror at the Busy Bee shows the two cowboys with me at the counter, as well as some of Craig Johnson's books. He still lives in town; wish I'd been able to meet him! 



Here are the two ladies who bought my breakfast. Oddly, I straightened this photo
 in iphoto, but every time I export it, it gets crooked again. 

The Busy Bee was filled to capacity when I was there. 

The Busy Bee, the Occidental Hotel and the Virginian are apparently all owned by the same people, and are pretty successful, according to several folks in town. 



Here I am in front of the Longmire for Sheriff Headquarters. The shop was supposed to be open on Friday from 4-6 p.m., and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wasn't open any of those hours. The owner probably went hunting, was what most folks around town thought. Oh, well. 

***
THE DOG OF THE DAY is Ruger, a 14-month-old lab/catahoula mix who lives at the Blue Gables cabin motel, where I spent one night. Ruger and I fell in love a little, but I suspect it wasn't anything special. I think he pretty much loves everyone. He's a big, slightly porky guy who is just learning to hunt. His humans are very nice folks - more about them, and Ruger's brother, in a future posting! 









2 comments:

  1. Yes, Sherry! He's part Catahoula, part Lab - we've been told Doc and Lulu are part catahoula. Good eye! But Ruger probably weighs 75 or more, and Doc, 35. Yay.

    ReplyDelete