Friday, October 21, 2016

Nestled In


Nestled In
Oil on black canvas, 10x10

The lovely owner of the KOA in Buffalo suggested that I drive into Crazy Woman Canyon, one of her favorite places. She showed me photos of it, and I agreed with her - and so, off I went. 

To get there, you drive a quite long, pretty bumpy dirt road (washboard-type bumps) that brings you past beautiful fields, big grazing cows, lovely farms - guess they're called "ranches" out here. I had to drive slowly, as I have lots of paintings hanging from the inside of the van, and that was fine with me. 

But as I got deeper and deeper toward the canyon, the road got more and more narrow, and more and more bumpy. I saw a place where I could pull over and turn around, and so I did. Near the turnaround, I saw this small house nearly camouflaged by brush and the shared colors of the rock behind it. 


***
Blue Gables 


I spent a night in one of the cabins at the Blue Gables Motel in Buffalo, and it was lots of fun. The cabin was cute, in an older, 1940s kind of way that I like very much. The owners were just great, especially Karen, who tended to everything while her husband and son were off hunting. We talked and laughed and shared our love of dogs, and though I wanted to take her photo, she begged me not to (you can just see her left shoulder in the photo below.)





Here's Ruger, who hangs out in the Blue Gables office. He has his own chair and ottoman, and he's often looking over the counter with the newspaper, above. 

***
Dog of the Day

This is Ruger's brother. I can't remember his name, but he's a wild dog, part pug, part Boston terrier. He's the boss dog, even though Ruger could bite him in half. He doesn't stop, chasing the ball and thrusting it at an innocent visitor, over and over and over. What a nut! 






No comments:

Post a Comment