Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Storm in Big Horn


Storm in Big Horn
10x10
When I went back to my little spot in Big Horn, Wyoming, to finish "Remembrance of Things Past," I decided to paint the storm, partly from the photograph I'd taken, and partly from the landscape I was seeing. 

Storms out West are pretty intense. I'd imagine the same sort of thing happens when you're way out on an ocean - you can see the weather coming, clearly, for miles and miles and miles. It's fascinating, and a little scary, a little unsettling, to watch the black clouds and the downstreams of rain heading toward you. 


***
Public Art in Sheridan, Wyoming

I've never seen a town with the kind of commitment to public art that Sheridan, Wyoming, has. On most of the corners of the main downtown street - and many side streets, as well - there are beautiful, fascinating, fun, lovely sculptures. They bring the downtown alive in a way I've never seen. 











According to Sheridan Public Arts, the program began with an idea and a group of interested citizens, in 1992. They wanted to create a public place for art, art fairs and the like. In 2001, the Grinnell Plaza project began, funded by donations, grants and the city. The mayor at the time, Jim Wilson, formed a public arts committee whose mission was to promote the Grinnell Plaza project, and choose works of art for it and for other parts of the city. 

The committee eventually chose eight sculptures. In the years since, a 1 percent for art optional sales tax, and ongoing funding from individuals and organizations has led to Sheridan having 59 permanent sculptures and many others that are on loan to the city and available for purchase. 

One person I spoke with said that the Mayor Wilson was absolutely obsessed with the sculpture program - and it shows. It's a delight to walk the streets and see the amazing, varied and lovely pieces of sculpture in the downtown. It bring life, vitality and richness to the downtown! Wish every downtown did it. I think I will bring the idea up in Wachapreague when I get home. 






***
Dog of the Day

Here's a nice golden, behaving well in Downtown Deadwood. 


No comments:

Post a Comment