Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Distant Mountains

Distant Mountains 
Oil on canvas, 16x16

I drove around a curve and the land opened up, yellow-green hills in front, red mountains in the middle, blue snow-covered peaks far behind. The road rolled down, and just where a house sat, curved away to the east. It was breathtakingly beautiful - and absolutely, completely silent. Yes, a few times an hour, a car went by, but that was it. 

I'd just started this painting when a truck from Minnesota pulled in to the driveway where I was painting. Three hunters got out, and came over to have a look. They didn't have much to say about the painting, but we chatted. They were there to hunt antelope, and so far, the antelope were winning. I said a silent hurrah. I have nothing against hunting, but I'll choose the animal every time. 

They took out binoculars and one peered off into the distance. Apparently, just beyond a small herd of cows, there was a larger herd of antelope. The one guy would walk down there, and herd the herd up toward the other guys. He set off, and the other two went and sat in the truck. 

In a while, it occurred to me that they might be planning on doing their shooting near where I was painting. And again, no problem with hunting, but I don't want to see it happen. So I went over and asked them, and they said no, that wasn't the plan. In a few more moments,  they drove off. 

I was nearing the end of the painting when they came back. The antelope had won again, they said, and they were going to call it a night - but they wanted to see the painting. So it all worked out OK, especially for the wary, wise and incredibly agile antelope. 


Above, my painting in the landscape. Below, a better view of the land. 

***
Scenes from the Road

There might not be a Big Foot, but there sure is a Big Foot Road! 

Beautiful farm in Eastern Wyoming



Above, the Powder River outside Buffalo. Below, the driveway speaks to what must be a pretty gorgeous ranch. The trees glowed in the afternoon light.  


***
Dog of the Day
This fierce fellow was defending his gigantic motor home in a parking lot near Wall Drug. He barked maniacally, his entire 9-pound body shaking with fury that I'd parked beside his RV. 


2 comments:

  1. I love this one! Looks like you're having a fabulous trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti, I am indeed having a great trip! It's so beautiful out here, inspiring, fun to paint, great country to wander around in. There's inspiration everywhere.

    ReplyDelete