Saturday, October 22, 2016

Crazy Woman Rock Face

Crazy Woman Rock Face
Oil on black canvas, 14x14

I've seen the "Longmire" series on Netflix, and have loved it. While I was in Buffalo, I bought the first Longmire book, and I'm reading it now. It's so cool to recognize places that he uses in the book. For instance, The Red Pony (and continual soiree) is clearly the bar/restaurant at Spotted Horse!  And the Log Cabin motel, where a couple suspects stay, is the Blue Gables Motel, where I stayed. Cool! And judging from the description in the book about where Walt lives, my guess is it's in Recluse. 

I haven't gotten far enough to know whether Crazy Woman Canyon will figure in to the story, but if I were Craig Johnson, I think I'd be likely to have someone find a body there, maybe even in one of the crevasses in this painting! 

It was a challenge, a fun one, to make this piece. Rocks are not easy for me, but like so much other stuff, the more I do it, the easier it becomes. The sun was clear, there wasn't much wind, and the rocks and road were warm and summery. Hard to believe it was October in Wyoming. 


***
Crazy Woman Canyon Road


 
I saw all kinds of animals on my way to Crazy Woman canyon. Love the donkey hanging out with the cows.










 Here's another donkey, hanging out with a horse. I don't know if the donkeys are protection, or just buddies for the others.
I would love to know the story here...

***
Dog of the Day

I saw this guy early one morning, letting his old dogs run - slowly - in a field safely away from the road. When they were done, he helped them back into the car. 





No comments:

Post a Comment