Thursday, October 6, 2016

Ready to Go!



Hello, sponsors! Welcome to the Big Skies Painting Trip blog!

As most of you know, I've been delayed a bit in my trip by the specter of a gigantic hurricane potentially smashing directly into Wachapreague, on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, where we live. Left, you can see the Eastern Seaboard; Wachapreague is where the little red thing is... (click here for a bigger map). At any rate, it now looks like the hurricane is going to go off into the Atlantic well south of us, so my plan is to head out on Saturday. My thinking is that I will drive out directly to Wisdom, Montana - one of my favorite places in the world - and have that as my turnaround. Then I will wander and ramble my way home, painting in Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota, and wherever else I see something wonderful. 

Some of you have already mentioned ideas you have, things you might like me to paint, places you might like me to visit. I'm open to all suggestions! You can send me an email me at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com, or call me at 860-442-0246, and I will do my best to fulfill your requests. 

Those of you who know me already know that I tend to stay away from the national parks and the well-trodden, already protected areas. There are millions of paintings of them already - and what excites me is the beauty of the ordinary, or at least what's ordinary for the people who live in these beautiful places. 
 ***
The Van is Packed! 


Above, you can get a look at the canvases that I've readied for the trip. I've got dozens of 10x10s, mostly in the clear boxes, and a good selection of larger canvases, as well, mostly all gessoed and wired. I also have a nice air mattress I'll use when I camp in the van.

To the left, the same area seen from the side door. My clothes are in boxes, I've got some paperwork to do, and it looks like I need to string a few more bungees across to keep stuff from sliding.



The brown pegboard on the far wall of the van will hold wet paintings to dry; there's another piece of pegboard flipped up and ready for three or four paintings. Most will dry in the slot just above the air mattress. And yup, I've got a port-a-potty, for the nights I sleep in the van.

***
Dog of the Day 

The black Labrador painting is really a hanger that my mother had in her living room. I've had it in the van as long as I've had the van, and just this week decorated it with a Halloween bandanna that my friend Pat gave me, and which our puppy Dr. Cooper wore for a while. I nearly brought my dog Koko, but decided that, for this trip, Mom's Lab will have to do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment