Monday, October 24, 2016

Tucked Away


Tucked Away
10x10

I set out for Big Horn, Wyoming, after seeing a billboard advertising a western art museum there, The Brinton Museum. A guy at a fly shop in downtown Sheridan also said it was beautiful, so it seemed like a good destination, and not too far, either. AND paved roads, which was especially good, as my paintings weren't drying quickly, and were (and still are) hanging all over the inside of the van. 

Big Horn is quite lovely. Lots of big fields, rivers, bright autumn foliage. Plenty of deer, too, singularly unimpressed with the people driving by them. 

I found a quiet spot to set up, and went to work. I love the way this little cabin is tucked away into the trees, and how the yellows and golds and oranges glowed in the overcast morning. I finished this painting, and started a second one, and I could see the storm moving in. The temperature fell, the sky darkened, and I could rain headed toward me. I packed everything up just in time, and sat in the van. Rain turned to a downpour, then to hail, and it was clear that it wasn't going to let up soon, so I set off for the museum,  just down the road. 


***
Brinton Museum
x

THE BRINTON MUSEUM was a wonderful experience! I was one of two visitors, so I felt like it was a private showing, which made it even more special.

I saw wonderful Western art by Frederic Remington and Charles Russell, whom I've heard of, and amazing portraits - many in crayon - by a painter named Winold Reiss, whom I'd never heard of. 

The 35 portraits in the museum were all of  Blackfeet tribe members, and were arresting and beautiful and fascinating. And different! 

Reiss was born in Germany, and came to the US in 1913. He wanted to dedicate his art career to painting Native Americans, and spent a large portion of his life living and painting in the Blackfeet Confederacy in Montana. To learn more about him, click here.

The museum also had a great collection of art and artifacts - head dresses, saddle blankets, clothing, bags and more - made by the Plains Indians. These were absolutely amazing! And there was a big collection of photographs by William Henry Jackson, as well. 

***
Fly Shop of the Bighorns


It's been a while since I've been fishing, but when I did it, I loved it. I almost brought my fly rod, but I really needed to be painting, not fishing, sigh... Peter is a wonderful fisherman, and so when I saw this shop, I thought I should go in. 

It was a beautiful place, and the owner, above left, introduced me to his best fly-tier, above, right, and talked him into giving me some flies. Fun! Also, the owner would like to sell some of my paintings in the shop, so that's exciting - and also a good excuse to visit Sheridan again. 



***
Dog of the Day




I was in a Starbucks in Sheridan when this woman came in and got a puppaccino for her dog. I asked it I could take a photo, and she invited me to pet him. She told me he loves his puppaccinos (basically whipped cream in a cup) and helps her navigate through her days. She was not completely blind, but very sight-impaired. They visit Starbucks almost every day. 








No comments:

Post a Comment